Just when you thought everyone loves puppies, American Corporations have arrived to prove they are solidly in the Joe the Plumber camp of hating animals. Yes, Center for Consumer Freedom bought ad time during the Oscars to run a commercial bashing the Humane Society!
And who is the Center for Consumer Freedom? Why, a corporate front group ran by Rick Berman. Not the terrible Rick Berman who ruined Star Trek, this is a different terrible Rick Berman. What is it with Ricks? I’ll just copy ThinkProgress’s table of horrors that Rick Berman, PR Hero, has unleashed upon the nation:
- Sweet Scam: Berman is behind a campaign called “Sweet Scam” which attempts to debunk “myths” such as “sugary sweeteners are bad for your teeth” or “significantly reducing sugar intake leads to healthy weight loss.”
- Trans-Fats: Another Berman campaign, whose website has since been pulled down, claimed that trans-fats have “may possess health benefits, including fighting some cancers, enhancing immunity, and counteracting artery clogging fats—the primary cause of cardiovascular disease.”
- The Steak Diet: Another Berman website touts how one can shed unwanted pounds by eating beef.
- Soft Drinks For Athletes: Berman also claims that high-sugar soft drinks “actually improved physical performance among elite athletes.”
- Fast Food Marathon: Berman also touts a marathon runner who proclaims “I love running and I love [fast-food]–might as well combine the two.”
- Global Warming Denial: And, of course, no right-wing anti-science campaign would be complete without some kind of attempt to deny global warming. Berman’s effort is an attack on former President-elect Al Gore’s statement that a high meat diet fosters global warming because meat requires forests to be cleared and more energy consumption to produce than other foods.
I sure hope Rick Berman doesn’t follow the diet he gets paid to pimp out, because he would have enormous medical bills and catastrophic health consequences. And that would be a shame. Reminder to all that Politisink is Team Puppies!